Sunday, April 12, 2020

An Unordinary Easter NaPoWriMo #12

I walk alone beside the stream heavy with dread that

I can’t shut down: angry at, afraid of

the toxic political maelstrom infecting our nation


but what use is my worry to the creek?

Down there in the shallows

sea-run cutthroat trout are spawning,

spangling in sun spikes through shade,

careless of the state of the world.


Along the way, alders dangle their catkins

and whisper pink into their first leaf-buds.

Maples hang their chartreuse bloom to the winds,

unconcerned of the shocking events:

Corporations before people.  Death to the uncounted poor

and the brown.  Children caged.

The business of money above the needs of life.


Where the stream opens into a small glen resting

between two hills, the water slows as it snakes along.

Eagles line its curves, picking off the spawn-weary fish

who give themselves up in the old way


but what use is my despair in the habits of

eagles and fish?  I want to tell them that what I seek

cannot be found among the roads of humans.

That I find solace in how my senses note

 such ordinary things as bud-break, of fish scales

silvering under the sun, of maple pollen

erasing the clarity of my windshield, of how it feels

to grasp dinner in your talons.

How it is to easily give up your life when

laying or fertilizing eggs defines your purpose.


From the bank I release a tiny boat,

a half of a walnut shell.  If I could place my fears

in its hold, I would, but what are fears to a seed remembering

its wooden nature?  Let it run on

past the fish and trees, let it bob untouched

by eagles.  It is Easter


but what use is a day of resurrection

when the planet and its beings are the sacrifice?


J. Pratt-Walter
4/12/2020


No comments:

Post a Comment